OPUS TIGÁZ Zrt. Our company and portfolio.
OPUS TIGÁZ Zrt. is the largest pipeline distributor of natural gas in Hungary.
Our main task is to ensure the uninterrupted supply of natural gas in Hungary. We operate a 33,760-kilometre gas pipeline network connecting us to more than one million natural gas consumers. In the course of our nearly 70-year history, we have accumulated a wealth of industry-leading expertise.
Our company operates natural gas distribution systems in 7 counties of Hungary. The head office of OPUS TIGÁZ Zrt. is located in Hajdúszoboszló, but we also have business locations in Eger, Debrecen, Gödöllő, Miskolc, Nyíregyháza, Szolnok and Budapest.
Our activities include:
- Natural gas distribution
- Gas meter reading:
- Running a customer service
- Dispatcher service and breakdown response
- Ensuring system use
- Construction, development and operation of gas distribution networks
- Management of gas pipeline connection contracts
- Conclusion of contracts for the use of distribution networks
- Review of user systems and post-construction technical acceptance
- Commissioning of user gas systems
- Switch users off and on again
- Activities related to meters and pressure regulators
- Registration of places of use
- Management of inspections, breaches of contract and irregular purchases
Brief history of the company:
- 1925: Natural gas gushes to the surface in Hajdúszoboszló.
- 1950: The City Council established the Hajdúszoboszló Natural Gas Production and Sales Utility Company to sell the natural gas that comes to the surface.
- 1967: The former Council-owned company – then called Tiszántúli Gázszolgáltató és Szerelő Vállalat – was integrated into OKGT, merging the Debrecen and Miskolc gas plants. The company's complex range of activities included gas pipeline construction, gas supply, the distribution and repair of gas equipment, internal gas installation and other gas industrial services (e.g. LPG).
- 1986: Rapid technological progress and growing gas consumption doubled the company's net sales. In the late 1970’s, the oil crisis led to an intensive expansion of the gas network and the connection of consumers to natural gas supply.
- 1993: TIGÁZ Tiszántúli Gázszolgáltató Részvénytársaság was established.
- 1994: A new act on gas supply entered into force. The government of the day decided on the principles for the privatisation of strategic sectors. Up to the late 1990’s, the distribution network development had been intense, and the number of customer connections and, with them, the number of customers, had increased steadily. The Company developed its organisation to meet the increased demand.
- 1995: Following privatisation, TIGÁZ Rt. joined the internationally renowned energy group, the Italian ENI.
- 2007: In line with the EU Directives, the legal separation of the Company's core activities took place: from that time on the tasks related to natural gas distribution were performed by TIGÁZ-DSO Kft., while universal services and natural gas trading were done by TIGÁZ Zrt.
- 2018: TIGÁZ discontinued its universal service activities and the operation and professional management of the company was transferred to the MET Group. This marked the start of a major modernisation process to increase efficiency and improve competitiveness.
- 2019: The Swiss-based MET Group signed a share subscription agreement with Status Energy Group for a capital increase. Under the partnership agreement, Status Energy Private Equity Fund's subsidiary Status Energy Kft. indirectly acquired a 49.57 percent stake in TIGÁZ Zrt. Predictable operations and efficiency improvements remained the key governance priorities, and investments in modernisation continued.
- 2021: OPUS GLOBAL Nyrt. signed a sale and purchase agreement with the Swiss-based MET Group for the acquisition of 50 percent of MS Energy Holding AG, through which the listed company acquired a 49.57 per cent stake and control rights in TIGÁZ Földgázelosztó Zártkörűen Működő Részvénytársaság (TIGÁZ Natural Gas Distribution Private Limited Liability Company). With the acquisition of TIGÁZ, OPUS GLOBAL Nyrt. started to replenish its energy portfolio, and the transaction demonstrates the holding's long-term commitment to energy investments in Hungary.